Egg salad for one or two


I love egg salad sandwiches.  Normally however, I can't eat but one half of a sandwich.  Especially the larger kind you might find at a coffee shop.  My youngest girl and I usually split one of those since we both really like the egg salad from Tully's.  Growing up, my mom made egg sandwiches.  Not egg salad, just egg.  They consisted of bread lightly spread with mayo and layered with plain, sliced hard boiled eggs lightly salted and peppered.  They were fine sandwiches for school lunches and such, but now I really prefer the egg salad.  I came up with this mixture based off the profile of the coffee house sandwich we like.  Mildly seasoned with just a tiny bit of crunch.  And just enough to feed my daughter and I since Daddy doesn't like eggs and my eldest would prefer tuna salad.  I recently started steaming my hard cooked eggs and I have never had farm eggs peel this beautifully!

Egg Salad for One Sandwich

2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
2 tsp mayonnaise
1 tsp sour cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
scant 1/8 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dill relish
pinch fresh ground pepper
pinch dill weed
fresh chives, optional

2 pieces sandwich bread
lettuce leaf, optional

Gently combine all salad ingredients in a bowl.  To make it nice and thick, mash the yolks with all the seasonings and mayo and then fold in the chopped egg whites.  Chill if desired, to blend flavors.  Serve on sandwich or sourdough bread and add a piece of lettuce to your sandwich if desired.

Comments