Favorite Pancakes


It's the name of the recipe in the cookbook:  Favorite Pancakes.  And that's just what they are to us.  R calls them "hooray fluffy pancakes!"  The cookbook is for one or two person recipes so I almost always double or triple it unless I am making them just for the girls.  At one point, I lost the cookbook, which had been given to me by a family friend as a going off to college present.  Had to order another copy and fortunately used copies were available since it was published in the late 60s.  I still haven't found the first one, though I know it is in the house somewhere.  It's now promised to my Mom and Dad, who are empty nesters.  Though I'm happy to share the recipe, I must admit that I am posting it mostly for my own benefit.  I don't ever want to lose this pancake recipe again!  That lovely yellow color is from the duck eggs I used this time, but regular chicken eggs work just fine and are what I use most often.  I just happened to find out I am allergic to chicken eggs.  And chocolate.  And cane sugar, apples, citrus, potatoes, coconut, wheat, corn, soy, onions and garlic.  I refuse to give up onions and garlic.  My allergy antigens will just have to overcome that sensitivity more slowly than if I eliminated.  At least I can have spelt flour.  I keep reminding myself it's only a short term elimination geared toward resetting tolerances and healing.  One thing I learned about pancake batter only recently is that not only can you over mix, you can also under mix.  Bring the batter together more than you would for say a muffin batter.  A few lumps are okay, but combine it pretty well.  Then you will get those lovely diner edges and finish from the first pancake to the last.


Favorite Pancakes
adapted from Cooking for Two
serves 4

1 1/3 cups light spelt flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp oil or melted butter
1 tbsp maple syrup

 Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Combine milk, eggs, oil and syrup; add to dry ingredients, stirring to fully moisten and leave a few lumps.  Bake on a hot, lightly greased griddle.  Makes 10-12 pancakes.

These pancakes freeze wonderfully and reheat in the toaster for school mornings!

Comments