Calico Eggs - using the bountiful garden zucchini


Everyone has their favorite way to prepare scrambled eggs.  This is one of ours.  My youngest daughter has been willing to practically wrestle for these since she was about 18 months old.  I originally made it with diced tomatoes and zucchini.  However, one day when I did not have tomatoes on hand, I substituted salsa and we loved it that way.  Over the years you learn not to plant too many zucchini in the garden, but in case you have an abundance of the little buggers waiting to be used up, this is one more way.  I still remember the stories my high school english teacher used to tell of the time she planted an entire row of zucchini as a novice gardener.  It got to the point where the neighbors would lock their doors and pull their shades when they saw her coming with a paper bag...  ☺  This year with just one nice big plant, I have enough production to use up without ending up with the huge "cow" zucchinis.  Of course we would usually just shred those for later use in quick bread.  Great Grandma's zucchini bread was THE best.  Anyway, this little recipe/formula can be adapted to taste and to feed as many as you would like.  I love using my handy dandy veggie chopper for the zucchini, as I detest chopping by hand.  We like cheddar cheese in it, but you could use anything you prefer.  Pepper Jack would really add a southwest kick to it, paired with the salsa...

Calico Eggs
feeds 2-3

3 farm fresh eggs
1 tbsp milk or cream
1 small garden zucchini, diced
2 tbsp salsa
2-3 tbsp shredded cheese
1 tbsp butter


Melt the butter in a small skillet and saute the zucchini until slightly tender. 



Meanwhile, beat the eggs and milk or cream in a bowl.  Add to the zucchini along with the salsa and cook on low.


Season as desired with salt and pepper.


At this point you can either sprinkle the cheese on top and finish it in the oven, frittata style (very pretty), or you can simply scramble in the cheese as well.


Invariably when I make this to share with my daughter, I hear a lot of "My turn, my turn, MY turn!"  Followed by "um, num" noises of appreciation.

These are nice and fluffy and very tender.  Just remember to cook your eggs over a low flame or burner.  And if your salsa is particularly runny, you may saute it with the zucchini to remove some of the moisture.  This is also a nice fresh dish when made with garden tomatoes.  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wow! I wish I had your high school teacher as a neighbor- I adore zucchini and never tire of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.